Monday 25 February 2013

My New Best Friend



Somehow this is just typical.  I manage to create my own personalised best friend and he has a horrible personality and spends most of his time thinking up nasty practical jokes to spring on me.  Even Nemo just to mostly just ignore me!  I know I was lonely, I know I said that I was desperate for anybody to talk to but, why, why!? Edwin is every insecurity I have made ‘real’. 


He could have been sweet.  He could have been kind.  He could have been my robotic soul mate.  Instead I swear he goes to bed at night and dreams of new ways to torment me.  He’s a monster!

It’s not that he doesn’t like me, although with us being so very different I’m not sure how long that will last, but being my friend doesn’t seem to mean anything much.  He still takes great delight in making my life pure misery. 


I do my best to stay friendly with him.  Playing games is always a fun way to pass the time and certainly nothing that Nemo was ever interested in.  I may possibly admit as well that keeping Edwin occupied with something means he has less time to sneak up on me and scare the living daylights out of me.


I have also tried my best to interest him in gardening, both as being useful to have another pair of hands to keep the growing plants in good order and also as an exercise in turning whatever passes for his mind to a more gentle pursuit.  Hoping that the simple pleasure of tending the earth and watching it bring forth a bountiful harvest would have a beneficial effect on him.


This was about as effective as giving a goldfish a bicycle.

So, here I am, yet again sitting alone at my camp-fire wondering if, once more, I should have taken greater care in what I asked for.


But here things took a rather surprising turn.  Although I should qualify this as many would consider a walking, talking robot turning up pretty surprising.  I certainly did.

Less surprising than that!

1 comment:

  1. *snort Edwin is an awesome addition to your island. Can't wait to see what the new surprise is!

    ReplyDelete