Tuesday 23 April 2013

If At First You Don't Succeed...

When I was sorting through junk up at the yard I came across this mysterious book that seemed to make even less sense than the journals and sketches I found with the inventing bench.  At the time I shoved it away and forgot about it as it seemed so useless but now that I'm out of options it might be worth another look.

For starters I now recognise some of the plants it mentions.  We've spent years growing them in our garden.

So it's back to books for me.


Even with having identifiable ingredients to hand now, and with all of my skill which I gained through the chemistry set, it's many days and nights of intensive study before I feel brave enough to try my first concoction.


Which is a complete failure.


 More study needed I think.  Ohhh, where is the nearest bucket...?  I don't feel so good.

I eventually brew up something which neither explodes or makes me lose my lunch by its stench and is, I believe, exactly what I'm looking for.  So I try it out on Edwin.


And absolutely nothing happens.

Pffh.


For the first time Edwin gives me a bit of a pep talk.  He knows how long and how hard I've been working towards this and I'm just getting impatient to finally achieve my goal.   

I'm getting sick of being patient but I do feel better after our talk and I'm eager to head back for some more study and some more experimentation. 


This time I'm sure I've got it right.  I'll pop it into a cup for easy drinking, and...


ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?  WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T DRINK THE &%$%(*& THING?!!!

What, you want a nicer cup or something?!


Sigh.

If at first you don't succeed, try again. 


And again.  And again...


Until finally...


I've cracked it!

Well, I'm pretty sure I have.

Then again, that's what I thought all those other times.

Guess there is only one way to find out.


And I'll wrap up the finished product and give it as a gift to Edwin.


Yes sweetie.  It's all yours.  I hope you like it.


No more potential hickups about not being able to take it orally, this one I've designed to be airborne.

And...  Will it work...?


OMG.

You're 150 years old!!!


Why does this sort of thing keep happening to me!?


3 comments:

  1. Aaaaaaaaah! She turned Edwin Real! Squeeeee! Yay! She just needs to whip up another Young Again potion! Yay! Yayyayyayyay! Look Edwin! You're a real boy! Er, man, whatever. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know you could do that!! That's awesome.

    I figure the old age is easy to fix, since we know Whitney has already learned that potion.

    And it looks like I'm caught up already! This is a really fun NIF concept. I am eventually going to do a desert island NIF, probably with the world that comes with Island Paradise, and I didn't want to be following too much in your footsteps. Looks like that is not at all a danger :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at you both being so clever :-)

      No suspense for you. Still I think I'll have a few surprises yet. Mostly because although I have a 'plan' for this legacy I go with the flow, so if something happens then it happens.

      I've been pretty stunned with some of the stuff which has gone on to be honest.

      Delete