Monday 8 April 2013

Learning the Lessons of the Island

Sometimes an epiphany can be a long time coming.  I don’t know why I was so depressed about how stale and stagnant I found my life and I don’t know why I woke up one cold frosty morning and just ‘felt better’.  My situation hadn’t changed at all but somehow I was looking at it through a different pair of lenses.  Basically, I just got over myself.

Maybe it was spending time with Edwin catching fresh fish for my dinner.  Edwin doesn’t like water and he doesn’t eat fish but he stills goes out nearly every day for my sake.  Or perhaps just to enjoy my company.


And then there is all the time he spends in the garden.  I know he likes gardening (thanks to a little personality adjustment by yours truly) but his dedication in trying to keep the garden going even when it's practically buried in snow is somehow very touching.  Completely pointless and a total waste of time of course, but sweet all the same.  Those plants are dormant love.  No chance!


I stopped travelling with ‘work’ as much to make more time for Edwin and we started rediscovering the joy we had together as friends, playing silly games outside having snow fights until I was nearly blue with cold.

Occasionally I may have overdone it a bit but fortunately Edwin was always on hand to thaw me out.



I carved a chess set for the two of us to use when we didn't feel like freezing outside.  Or at least, I didn't.  


 A few more things were added to the house.  It’s really starting to have that homey feel now I think. 


Ok, yes, the picture does look a bit eccentric but I have no complaints with this other item I picked up on my travels.  My bath time is now complete!  'Oh rubber ducky, you're the one...'


Edwin also created a shelf for all of our books, he’s always got his nose in one so it’s nice to give them a proper home rather than being left in piles on the floor.


With less time spent time travelling and more time spent in play, my brain, which had fallen into a bit of a rut began churning again.  I put together a rather rudimentary chemistry bench and began some experimentation.


Using myself as a guinea pig which lead to some interesting results.



Some of the stuff I put together tasted seriously awful.  One in particular was a cross between a pile of rotting fruit, fish and an incontinent dogs doings.  

The fumes from that particular concoction may have impacted more than my olfactory senses; shortly after imbibing that while I was working on creating another, hopefully more palatable potion, wandering past the house came…


 Who in the blazes are you?

 HEY, get away from that!


Ok maybe I’m still high from the fumes because where the heck did you come from?  And what’s with the green skin and pointy ears?


You do have nice eyes though.


You want to take my picture?  Oh, how nice.

And my imagination has given you a great sense of humour.  I like it when people laugh at my jokes.


Even if you do seem rather interested in odd things.  That’s a lump of dirt.


And that’s a frozen tomato plant.


And that’s you running off into the distance...


Oh well.  I guess you weren’t real anyway.

But I don’t think I’ll mention this to Edwin…

Time to get back to my chemistry set.  The key to my dreams is somewhere in this place, I just have to figure it out.

2 comments:

  1. Phew! At least she didn't get abducted! Lol! Loved her interactions with the alien though. First a simbot and now an alien. She really does get all kinds. Wonder just what she's workin' on with the Chemistry set...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the title of the blog is 'Looking for Love in the Strangest of Places'...

      Delete