Monday 3 June 2013

My Husband the Overgrown Puppy

I can't say it was easy adjusting to the knowledge that my husband was a werewolf.  For one thing he used to seriously creep me out everytime he changed.  Most nights everything was fine and he could remain my handsome husband and I would mostly forget.  But every full moon...


Edwin does bring me back nice gifts from his time out hunting.  I didn't know there were so many gems and beautiful insects on our island.  He also brought me back a fair share of worms, slugs and other creepy crawlies.  Exactly what he thought I would do with them I have no idea.


I had to keep a careful eye out around the house on the nights of the full moon as well.  When he was out hunting the worst I had to deal with was the occasional blood curdling howl.  When he was inside the house however the furniture could take a real pounding if I wasn't there to intervene.  I've just started to get our home looking how I want it so I have no intention of letting an overgrown puppy chew and scratch everything into rubble. I always kept a roll of paper handy for a quick smack on the nose.  That always worked.  Then he'd usually head out for another round of hunting or go digging around in the garden or the trash can - yes, he was sulking. 

It's amazing how anything can start to seem normal if it happens enough.  One day I was laughing with Edwin about the amount of hair he sheds during 'his time of the month' and I realised I'd gotten used to it.  Somehow it just no longer bothered me. 


He seemed happy enough as he was, and when I thought back really the only concern he'd ever had was how his condition was upsetting me.  And once I realised that I managed to let go of the guilt I felt over being the one who had inflicted this 'curse' on him.  I'd always blamed myself for being too desperate to make Edwin human.  I'd meddled with things I didn't understand and I had been willing to pay the price.  In the end though I thought it was Edwin who had paid the price and I was ashamed.  They say you can forgive someone anything except the thought that you may have wronged them.  Once I realised that Edwin really didn't care I felt a great weight come off my shoulders.

Through all of my soul searching he continued to be the wonderful man and father he was.  He spent as much time with our son as he grew up as I did.


Even helping with the rather 'icky' parts of raising a child.


Edwin loved being a father and he loved the fact that our son was 'our' son.  Even when I was quite frankly freaking out about the fact that the love of my life grew fangs and ran around on all fours at least once a month, Edwin himself never once wavered in how he felt about me.


It was his steadfastness that made me realise that once again the island had offered me something amazing, and that once again there was a challenge to be overcome to gain it.  In the past I've mostly paid in hard work.  This time I had to pay with growing into tolerance and understanding.

It was a hard lesson but like everything I've learned here it was well worth the price.



With that trial behind us we reclaimed the magic that had never really left us but hadn't been enjoyed as much as it could have been over the last year. 

Edwin picked out a special star that we named after our son.  When he gets older we'll be able to show it to him, but for now it feels like this whole beautiful night sky has been made just for us.









1 comment:

  1. Aw! I love that she's made peace with the fact that Edwin is a werewolf. He seems to be perfectly fine with it though. lol.

    Smacking Edwin on the nose with a roll of paper made me lol.

    ReplyDelete