Wednesday 7 August 2013

My Ever Growing Family

After that things got really hectic. Five minutes later I fell pregnant again and Edwin and I soon had another lovely little boy called Tommy.


Tommy was a baby who seemed to be born to be on the island; he loved being outside and the heat never seemed to bother him. I could leave him outside for hours at a time and he never grizzled. Which was fortunate because with three other children and a husband having spare time to spend constantly tending a newborn baby wasn't really an option. My house projects are now definitely a thing of the past. Maybe once the children are a little older.

Of course even busy as I am there is still always time enough for a cuddle.


Victor grew up without much fanfare but he didn't seem to mind.


I remember when he turned up he nearly turned our lives upside but I can't imagine life without him now. He's picked up the mantle of 'big brother' and seems to take it very seriously. As well as being adored by Wilbur and doting on Bernice (well, we all do that) he helped a lot with the new baby as well.


He doesn't spend all of his time in 'big brotherly duties'. His brave adventurous temperament hasn't changed at all and I just know he's itching to use the Time Machine but I've forbidden it until he's a bit older.

He also has a love of music which has begun to express itself in the guitar. It certainly comes more naturally to him than it did to me. He must take after his father, whoever that is!


Having help became even more important because just when I thought we were settled in our family we had another little surprise...


Meet Ron, another one of my little time machine adventures apparently. He might even have the same father for all I know. Good grief! I sometimes get the feeling that someone is laughing at me somewhere.

Ron settled into family life much easier than Victor did, perhaps because I was almost used to it by now 'Oh, something totally crazy and unexpected just happened? Well, it's been a while, I was almost expecting it'.

Ron was definitely less of a trail blazer than Victor was. He'd enjoy having a play but really he was a bit of a clumsy boy and had a tendency to come flying off the horse if he got too enthusiastic.


After a few of those he seemed just as happy to laze around on the most comfortable seats in the house. He does keep odd hours though – maybe it was the world he came from but he definitely likes to stay up late. Oh dear, he is such a grump early in the morning. In the end we learned to just leave him alone, he'd get up and join us when he felt like it.

Other than that, just like Victor fitted right into playing with his siblings. As seems to be obligatory in this family he fell madly in love with Bernice and would spent hours and hours playing with her and catering to her every whim. I swear never has a little girl had so many adoring brothers.  When I think of my lonely childhood and I watch my brood of children all playing happily together....  Some kind fairy has been watching over us I think.


Wilbur grew up as well and his inner werewolf nature started to shine through a little more. He had always been an athletic boy who loved the outdoors and now he started joining his father during his
hunts on the full moon.


He also started doing other activities with his father than I was even less approving of.


Apparently this sort thing will make 'a real wolf out of him!'. Thank you darling but I quite liked my son as he was. Two crazy wolves tearing things up every full moon? My poor furniture!

Victor is expressing himself in other ways.  I told him the story one night of my extraterrestrial  visitor and it seemed to capture his imagination.  He's always been such an adventurous boy and the island, although a lovely home, I am beginning to think just isn't big enough for him.  Victor also seemed fascinated by my stories of the alien technology and seems rather wistful of the primitive setup we have here.

I did try to hint as delicately as I could that it was likely that my green skinned friend was a vision caused by inhaling too many chemistry fumes but it didn't seem to sink in.  Victor is now convinced that we are not alone and has started a collection of strange rocks of the sort the alien seemed to be scanning when he was here in an effort to attract their attention.


 Yes darling, those large ones are probably going to break the shelving.

Hmm, I'm so very happy here, but is this island going to be too small for the happiness of the rest of my family?

Author Note:  I'm so sorry for the delay for those reading my blog - I've been on a long holiday in Thailand and my first week back has been catch up at work.  Things should be back on track although I have 3 exams coming up and I'm due to pick up a dog in about a month so things are still pretty hectic.

4 comments:

  1. Good heavens! The family is huge now! I guess this will grow the island's population! Ha!

    Whitney got her time travel children, just not quite the way you had it planned :). But I love the way it turned out.

    Victor playing guitar in his underwear was just too funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it will if I can find partners for them all :-) Eligible parties are a little thin on the ground...

      Delete
  2. Wow! 5 kids in the end of this one! Whitney really has her hands full now! I love all the little "surprises" that keep popping up to keep everyone on their toes. I also love how all the boys are doting on their sister. lol. It was very sweet to see them all surrounding her to play.

    Hmmm! I wonder too about how big the island really is and what all you've got going on and unlocked for your NIF. And how is all this going to be introduced?

    I'd been missing Whitney and her adventures, so seeing an update was wonderful. However, Wow! Thailand! I bet it was beautiful! Did you have a good time? Congrats on the new addition and Good luck on your exams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! 5! Regarding the size of the island you can see a map on the second post. There are three main 60x60 fields and the rest you can squeeze in small plots here and there. So, not all that much space. I'm having to be canny about placing lots.

      And, yes, I had a great time in Thailand. I meet my friend from NZ there (halfway meeting point between the UK). Maybe next year we'll go to Malaysia? My new pooch arrives in two days (a little sooner than planned) so I'm frantically trying to finish my floors and get my new furniture in before he arrives :-)

      Delete